bluetenknospe

Virginia Henley
A Dangerous Love
Sabrina Jeffries

Sleepless at Midnight

Sleepless at Midnight  - Jacquie D'Alessandro hmm.....my second book by the author and probably the last in a long while.

I suppose it is a style thing and not to be held against the writer. Her style is a bit on the light side for me, telling a story without emotions involved. I suppose the writing is good, but I cannot become interested in the characters or the plots.

Sarah seems to be a character borrowed from Amanda Quick's later romances: bookish, spinterish, eccentric, wear spectacles, odd, outspoken, on the shelf, unpopular and unpretty. Her hobbies were cooking, horticulture, reading and she was a dog lover. All of which, I believe, are supposed to make readers feel that she is "approachable" and "relatable", because just how many of us romance-reading girls are Helen of Troy? I do believe that we should experience slight annoyance and feel mildly indignant about such futile attempts at making us warm up to the heroines.

I do not need my heroines to be outwordly beautiful. This is not necessary. I like a bookish heroine. But why does she have to be "plain"? Whenever the writers decide to write about an "unconventional" heroine, why must they drive home the fact that she is "undesirable"? Plain is fine. But it looks like when the writers opt for a plain heroine, they must mention how insecure she is, how her plainness plague her and of course the prince on the white horse is the only one who finds her charming because they are meant to be. Make her plain, make her bookish, make her weird, but seriously once is enough. I get the picture. A plain heroine can be fantastic, really. Beauty is not a must. It is all up to the writer. If you write her plain and boring, I will believe that she is plan and boring. Then why should I read about such a character?

OK I need to breathe. lol

I guess I am not much for ugly duckling turn swan for a man kind of stories.

Matthew was hunting for an heiress because his father left him an empty title and lots of debts. Sarah naturally had no money but led a full life. I don't mind cliche when the story is good. But in this book I see what the writer is going for even before I read chapter 3.

The plot is the usual. Hot guy finds plain girl pretty, god knows why. But no no it cannot be because he needs money and said plain girl does not have money. Some more quirky events happen and bring hot guy and plain girl together, hot guy cannot marry her but want her la-di-da something happens and we all live happily ever after. The end.