bluetenknospe

Virginia Henley
A Dangerous Love
Sabrina Jeffries

Highlander's Redemption: The Sinclair Brothers Trilogy, Book Two

Highlander's Redemption: The Sinclair Brothers Trilogy, Book Two - Emma Prince Up until 80% of the book, I was HAPPY and all ready to give the book 4 stars for all the fluff and happy feelings.

Highlander's Redemption, like the first book in the series, is a very ordinary highland romance. It has all the right ingredients: fierce warrior, kind heroine, clan honor, Scottish independence, cruel villain and wonderful romance that only exists in romance novels. The fact is, once you have read one of them, you have read them all. But sometimes some writers make this age-old formula work and make me smile like an idiot for 300 pages. This was true so far for these 2 books in this series (have not read the 3rd one). Highlander's Redemption is just basically the same book with a different set of lead characters. But their romance is so pretty, I will gladly read another one of these highland romances.

But in the last 20%, all the talks about and with Robert the Bruce and his conquest for Scottish independence put the romance on the back burner. The book quickly lost steam. While I gladly gave the first book, Robert and Alwin's story 4 stars, I can only give Garrick and Jossalyn 3.

Ms. Emma Prince got the typical Scottish romance characterization right and her lead characters are very endearing. No overly long stupid fights or misunderstanding between characters. Lots of tenderness. But such fluffy books do not have the substance to accommodate politics. Instead of writing about Jossalyn aiding Robert the Bruce, the book would have benefited much more if the last 20% of the book was dedicated to Garrick and Jossalyn, instead of Robert the Bruce.

But for the first 80%, I thought this book is even fluffier than the first book, if that is even possible. It was still a very pleasant read, just kind of lost steam in the end.