bluetenknospe

Virginia Henley
A Dangerous Love
Sabrina Jeffries

After the Abduction

After the Abduction - Sabrina Jeffries I am willing to go 3.5 stars on this book. It is a book with potential. I like the lead characters a lot but find the plots a bit silly, espcially in the second half.

So the book has a mixed identity and kidnapping thing going on. Juliet was kidnapped by Morgan (who was actually Sebastian) but she thought she was eloping with Morgan. Morgan/Sebastian kidnapped her to save his twin brother, who was the real Morgan, but had no real intentions of hurting Juliet, at least not physically. Juliet was heartbroken when Morgan/Sebastian left her after he rescued her from the people who wanted her kidnapped but did not succeed in rescuing the real Morgan. This is where the second book left us regaring Juliet and Morgan. At that time, nobody knew that Morgan was not Morgan.

So the 3rd book in the series, this book, picked up 2 years later when it is revealed to the readers that Morgan was actually Sebastian. And Juliet has come to Sebastian with her family, having heard that Morgan was Sebastian's ward. Upon seeing Sebatsian, Juliet immediately recognized him as Morgan, despite the fact that Sebastian denied the claim profusely and repeatedly.

So the story begins.

I liked the story a lot better than the first 2 books, [b: A Notorious Love|303204|A Notorious Love (Swanlea Spinsters, #2)|Sabrina Jeffries|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1361917850s/303204.jpg|294256] and [b: A Dangerous Love|2405018|A Dangerous Love|Brenda Joyce|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1341641601s/2405018.jpg|2412183]. And it has everything to do with the heroine's characterization. Juliet, the heroine in this story appeals more to me than her sisters Helena and Rosalind, who I had trouble establishing connections with. She is more domestic and on the soft side, less impulsive and of a mother hen. She is occasionally a childish brat too but she has her good moments. Sebastian is not badass enough for an alpha hero and his character is rather inconsistent. Sometimes he is tough and sometimes he is way too soft. But they are both endearing characters.

The plots are rather thin in the sense that I think they did not serve the purpose of giving the lead characters the opportunity to develop their relationship. The first half is sigfinicantly better than the second because the initial "are you Morgan or not" kept the tension. In the second half the question "when is Morgan coming back" became the supporting theme and failed to maintain the tension.

And honestly, not that I am pining for an asshole but I become suspicious of a man who is way too understanding. Sebastian was sometimes almost too sweet. In German there is a name for men like this: "Frauenversteher". It literally means they are "women-understander", referring to men who are "sensitive" to women's feelings and sometimes this is how they get close to women. And Sebastian is not supposed to be such a man. This bit of inconsistency bugged me a lot in the second half. I winced whenever he was written to be very understanding and all nice and sweet. I would rather have a gay friend than such a man. (there, I said it. I prefer my gay friends over men who are less of a man than I am. lol)